Monday, August 10, 2015

LEADERSHIP – A life-long Development Process



LEADERSHIP – A life-long Development Process

As I reflect on my leadership experiences as President of College of Science, Technology, and Applied Arts of Trinidad and Tobago (COSTAATT), and my various leadership roles at Medgar Evers College and Bethune Cookman-University, I believe that the record would show that I am a goal oriented and results-driven leader with a proven track record of 25 - plus years’ experience in the leadership and management of complex higher education institutions, who is adept at leading organizational transformation and change, identifying and developing talent, and maximizing resource utilization, for achieving the organizations’ mission, goals and objectives.  In addition, I believe that I possess all of the aforementioned attributes of the twenty-first leader; and that the wisdom born from all of these combined experiences would allow me to work with the requisite stakeholders to successfully accomplish the next steps along my leadership journey.
Despite this strongly held belief, I fully understand, appreciate, and acknowledge that I am still developing as a leader; and that the process of leadership is a life-long activity. In addition, I recognize that I must continue to be sensitive to the relational process of leadership, and for me to continue to be an effective leader I must be always mindful that: everyone is a leader in his/her own right; that everyone is also a follower; and that leadership is about people working together to bring about change for the common good. In the higher education environment the common good is transforming the lives of each and every student who entrust their future to us to help them achieve their career goals and aspirations; and lead them to self-actualization. This is indeed an awesome responsibility that can only be achieved through teamwork, collaboration, respect for other, and shared governance, with all of the stakeholders playing their parts to the best of their abilities.